“WHAT IS UP WITH THE PECULIAR GLASSES?“, you ask.
Well, let me tell ya. My Blogs are written from my perspective, you know, how I see stuff. When I look at the world around me, I choose to put on my “peculiar glasses” manufactured by the “peculiar institution” (aka Slavery in america) and “made in the USA”.
What’s so “peculiar” about my glasses, about how I see the world? Let’s start by understanding what the term “peculiar”‘ means:
Other definitions include: 1. Distinct from all others 2. uncommon; unusual
Definition of the “PECULIAR INSTITUTION”: a euphemism describing the practice or institution of keeping slaves —used formerly of slavery as an institution peculiar to the South in the U.S.
The environment I find myself in is not based on my settings or the settings of my ancestors, they were “preset”, like “default settings” by those who meant me and my ancestors NO good. As I sit back and reflect, I find myself in this unique position as the “American By Default.” This position, while it is amass with sh!t not being the way I nor my ancestors would have planned it, it does afford me the” luxury” to sit back and look at the rest of America through a peculiar pair of glasses. This “luxury position” allows me sit back and complain about whatever I want, whenever I want and none of you all can tell me sh!t. Why? ‘ Cause I didn’t ask to be here anyway.
If anything negative is going on as it relates to me, it’s your fault. Why? Cause I didn’t ask to be here anyway. If anything positive happens as it relates to me, it happened in spite of you. Why? Cause I didn’t ask to be here anyway.
And don’t even think about criticizing my stance. The crimes that have been committed against me, my ancestors, and my kind have been so atrocious in the sight of God and no amends have ever been attempted to be made. Unless and until you 1st come to me with an apology wrapped in a load of financial restitution, you can’t tell me sh!t. Do I sound pissed? You damn skippy!
Funny thing! When I take my “Peculiar Glasses” off, things get a litle fuzzy for me. I don’t see things quite as clearly.
1. I might really believe that I am getting super customer service when as soon as I get 1/2 of one foot into your businesses, I’m asked, “Can I help you?”
2. I might really believe that once again, someone ahead of me was just offered the job inspite of the fact that you immediately responded to my resume and invited me in to an interview, and saw me face-to-black face and said, “Oh… you’re Timothy.”
3. The negative aspects of African-American society, i.e. poverty, children out of wedlock, poor education, and crime is soley the result of low levels of ambition, morality, and sense.
4. I might see the following photo as just someone’s artistic expression:
5. Your VOTER ID LAWS really are innocents attempts to simple ensure the integrity of the Election Process, not an attempt to supress the votes of black and brown peoples.
6. RACISM no longer exists in America!
No thanks. I think I’ll keep my glasses on.